22 October, 2008

Freecycle: free shit

I'm not being rude. I mean it literally. Freecycle in Hackney never offered manure or compost which I suppose is hardly surprising. Freecycle Brecon/Hay does and I am going to collect a few sacks of well-rotted horse manure for the veg patch and fruit bushes. The car will no doubt smell interesting afterwards... Charlotte has opted for playgroup rather than join me on this jaunt.

If you don't know about Freecycle,

The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,619 groups with 5,984,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free.

This will be the first time I've been a receiver. In London we used Freecycle to get rid of things we no longer needed when we were about to move house. It was great to know that things were going to a good home and would get much more use again before perhaps being passed on to someone else.

1 comment:

vegmonkey said...

Looks like u are going great guns since i last checked in! I use freecycle quite a lot...just taken on a massive allotment and need all the soil i can muster, so have posted an ask on there...we'll see what happens!