24 December, 2008

Hedge laying

It's not that my chickens haven't been laying. They just haven't been laying where I want them to. This is what I found on Monday. First there was an egg on the path and then, remembering that I'd seen a chicken looking shifty near the fence, I took a closer look. And...



14 eggs, two broken, one a bit iffy, the others were fine. I did the float test (if it floats, it's off) and judging by the results most were reasonably fresh. They went into the omelettes last night.

Anyway, now I am checking the hedges as well as the nesting box. And it does rather explain why chickens were making "I've laid an egg" noises but I wasn't finding any eggs.

1 comment:

Suzanne@ Panteg Alpacas said...

now you have a problem!! once one starts they will all follow and if you don't leave one egg in situ they will move to a new site , if they spot you collecting eggs they will move ..... I confine mine to a run until they get back into a routine of laying where I want them too !