08 July, 2009

Limbo - patience is a virtue, just not one of mine

I am suffering from blogger's block. Have been for weeks now. And the reason is that I decided for no discernible reason that I wouldn't write about something which has been dominating my thought processes. To whit, we are in limbo. I know it looks like we've made a wonderful move to a beautiful rural idyll complete with chickens, garden and preserving pan. And this is of course all true. However, we are also waiting to hear whether Tom (and the rest of us) are going to get a visa to live and work in the States for the next three years. Now while I am fairly decisive - never known to hesitate over a menu, can choose a new car in an hour or so - the US Immigration Service is slightly slower. Which is of course understandable and just as it should be, but also, rather frustrating.

So here we are in limbo. I don't know if I'll be here or in San Francisco, in November. I haven't bought anything for the house for weeks and weeks, I debate over whether to book the girls into after school classes in September, I even wondered whether to plant another row of parsnips. Mind you, my friend Nicki, now resident in Canada but previously of N16 London fame, reminded me that she was in limbo for over two years. Rather put things in perspective.

5 comments:

mountainear said...

The quickest way to get a result from the chaps at US Immigration would be to do all those things you list. Sod's law will dictate that the moment the first parsnip seed hits the drill that will be the moment that they decide you're welcome.

What an exciting prospect. Go!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Do so identify with this! I once spent months not knowing if I was going to live in Saschetuan (pretty sure that is spelt wrong but cant be bothered to check). That is tough when you have started to put down roots but exciting too as mountainear says. Either way, sounds ok.

Garden Girl said...

Love the US Immigration system... so welcoming. Only country where you aren't a foreigner, you're an alien. (either that or a potential terrorist). Don't get me wrong, I love America, and Americans... I married one, so half my family is now American. But their beaurocracy takes the cake. American people are lovely and welcoming. The American 'system' is not.

Like the Mountinear said: get planting. Seeds are cheap and you'll be even more frustrated if you are still here this time next year. And if you aren't you'll have more to think about than abandoned parsnip seedlings.

BUT: You MUST continue your blog from the other side of the pond!

BilboWaggins said...

Hi Elaine, haven't visited for a while but having a catch up. Hope you get a Visa answer soon, limbo is a pain-in-the-*** place to be! Do as recommended - plant seeds, book after school classes. If you don't and you stay here, you will regret having missed out. Good luck, keep us informed.

BilboWaggins said...

Hi Elaine, haven't visited for a while but having a catch up. Hope you get a Visa answer soon, limbo is a pain-in-the-*** place to be! Do as recommended - plant seeds, book after school classes. If you don't and you stay here, you will regret having missed out. Good luck, keep us informed.