23 September, 2009

Meanwhile back at the barn

I'll admit I haven't been paying a lot of attention to what's going on outside lately. Almost forgotten we have chickens sometimes. And as for plants. Well there's only so much time in the day.

However, the horses are back and the neighbours are away so opening and shutting the chicken house now involves navigating your way past two large friendly stallions. This is not something I am used to. Nor Tom. Nor indeed the chickens who emerged one morning saying "where the hell have you been, why have we been cooped up so long," and then caught sight of long legs in front of the house and promptly remembered something that urgently needing doing back inside the hen house. I think they are coming to some kind of uneasy relationship and Tom has overcome any horse phobia he may have had and this week is in charge of the chickens. In fact he said it's rather better to go out there himself than with me squawking whenever a horse comes up behind me. So much for country living!

No comments: