03 October, 2010

Life is not the movies

So here's the thing about living somewhere exciting. You still have to get on with life. I am in San Francisco but I still have to go to shops, banks, schools. I still have to make breakfast and pack lunches, and drag tired children to after school activities. I still have to go to PTA meetings, wait for Tom to get home from his long commute, cook supper, pay bills.

And I'm not doing this to some poppy soundtrack of Indie or hippie tunes while waving and smiling at improbably friendly locals. Though it has to be said there are some quite improbably friendly locals round here. But no. I am living life.

The annoying thing is that when you live in a film set that you've watched many times over - be it Paris, New York, San Francisco or whereever - you sort of think you're not quite doing it right because you still have to do the cleaning and laundry. And some days you are very tired and do not leave the house, even though out there is this whole exciting other-side-of-the-world-place-you-won't-be-in-forever just waiting to be visited and appreciated before it is too late.

Well that's my excuse for today and come to think of it yesterday's lack of adventure and excitement.  Life just gets in the way sometimes.

1 comment:

Garden Girl said...

I know what you mean. I used to live in Barbados... and all anyone can ever think about that is - OMG the beaches! The tropics! Pure heaven!

They don't want to hear about traffic jams, flooding (go look at the Nation newspaper online today http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/third-day-of-flooding/), long queues at the bank/ supermarket/ post office etc.

They only want it to be like in the tourism posters. And it is like that. But not ONLY like that!