11 February, 2007

What strange places supermarkets are...

I had to go to one last week for the first time in ages. I usually shop online or in small local shops as my nearest supermarket is 15 minutes by car away and not very good at that. But sometimes you just have to go so Lottie and I went for a visit. She loved it - so much to look at and a trolley to ride in. But to me they are strange parallel universes full of things I don't want hiding the things that I do - I can never ever find eggs. It's amazing to me how few real raw ingredients are sold in these places. I looked for plain ordinary couscous and all I could find was easy to cook in three varieties with added spices or mediterranean herbs or other preserved junk. And how hard is couscous to cook anyway. Why is it only stuff like rice, pasta and couscous which comes "easy to cook". What I would like is easy to make Hollandaise sauce or souffles or jam but no for the really culinarily challenged there's easy to cook pasta...

Worst most disgusting item seen - a small plastic case, shaped in a semi-circle for authenticity no doubt, which claimed to be an omelette maker for a microwave oven. Yuk yuk yuk.

No comments: