25 March, 2009

Activity in the polytunnel

There was flurry of activity in the polytunnel last week and we now have seeds in the earth. On the grounds that we don't really know what we're doing and everything is an experiment, so far I've planted basil, lots and lots of lettuce of different types, peas and mangetout, and fennel. There's also some calabrese in modules and two trays of stock and lobelia for the girls. I popped in yesterday and there were some green shoots showing but I'm not clear if they are weeds or crops. We shall see.

Meanwhile I have far too many tomato seedlings on the window sill and a couple of aubergines have emerged. No sign of the peppers I planted at the same time. I'm not sure how long it should take them to germinate so I'll give them a bit longer until I count them a dead loss. We're planning to put lots of tomatoes in the ground in the tunnel, and I hope to put some outside too. Someone on the radio said that now we've lost the Indian cricket tournament because of our unpredictable weather, we're bound to have a scorching spring and summer. Here's hoping.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Will be following your polytunnel planting with interest. I haven't yet taken the plunge with the polytunnel, partly on the grounds that I do already have two greenhouses, but the time will surely come.

Garden Girl said...

I have a package of as yet unopened romanesco broccoli. It is the most fabulous fractal stuff, and tastes delicious. But I don't think I am going to have room to grow it. Would you like to have my packet, free-gratis? (Seeing as you are already growing another type of broccoli...)
Let me know.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Saw you were "mentioned in dispatches" over at the Rubbish Diet (congratulations on your award by the way) and popped over to say hello.

Looked at your reading list first and found several titles there which I may try.

I'll pop back if that's OK - am interested to see how your planting progresses. Hope you're right about the spring and summer!

A

Don said...

i need a polytunnel!!

I am looking forward to seeing your garden.