13 December, 2010

Turn the volume down!

It is a cliche, I know, but some Americans really are very loud.

To the woman half way down the street in Monterey, I'm sorry that you stay home most nights and read and that you have thought about online dating but aren't ready yet, but I'm not sure why you chose to confide in me and the rest of the pedestrians on the street.

And to the young man today on the phone, I'm pretty sure that whoever you were talking to, didn't really want to know that you were late because you needed a crap but had run out of toilet paper so had to borrow some first. I'm certain I didn't want to know that.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Ugh. Maybe it's because I've lived abroad, maybe it's because I grew up in the country, but I cannot understand how my countrymen can be so inconsiderate with their voices, their radios, their phones. Generations have grown up with the feeling that the world revolves around them, and others are merely decoration, to be ignored when not needed.

I'm a little nervous about an impending trip to Paris with my brother and his three young children. I have memories of sitting in the metro as a commuter, knowing instantly that the loud group getting on the next car was American, praying none of them stepped into mine. That group might be us next summer! :)

comedyrocks.com said...

You are 100% correct about Americans being loud. The less we have to say the louder we seem to get - perhaps with the hopes of gaining attention?