- Somehow, we need to persuade the USA that electric kettles are a good idea. Been gasping for a cup of tea for days.
- The coffee supplied free in motel bedrooms is supplied free for a reason. And after a diet of Ritual Roasters, Blue Bottle or Four Barrel... Thank God for our emergency supply of beans and the coffee grinder.
- Cheap motels are like RV parks. There is a community of people who live in these places and we are just passing through, intersecting briefly with them. I was struck by this when we did our Utah - Grand Canyon trip last year. It's all a bit Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. What jobs are they doing? Where are they from? Where are they going? One young woman after commenting sweetly about my accent, gave us a homemade ornament made from sand dollars. I think I may have exchanged 10 words with her, but I said thank you and somehow fitted it into our car. I suppose we were exotic. A British family is an unusual sighting in Crescent City.
- If in doubt about where to have lunch, choose a diner and have breakfast.
- There are quite a lot of sheep in Oregon.
- Also rain. Quite a lot of rain.
|The Umpqua river. Beautiful even in the rain.|