24 November, 2008

Watching TV again, online: Michael Pollan interview at Web 2.0

I find myself watching more television these days though not on television. BBC i-player is great (if you live in the UK) - suddenly TV reviews have turned into "why don't you watch this" columns instead of "why didn't you watch this and now you've missed it" columns. But actually most of what I'm watching isn't available on TV at any time.

The Do lectures from Howies are stimulating and interesting and varied. And I'd also recommend O'Reilly's Web 2.0 Summits. Much is about new technology, but the keynotes and interviews aren't too technical to follow and sometimes they aren't technical at all. Last night, I watched John Battelle interview Michael Pollan about food, the oil economy and what changes are needed to alter what we eat, the way we grow it, our health. Here it is.




Other stuff I've enjoyed: Clay Shirky, Lawrence Lessig, Tim O'Reilly - and yes this is a bit geeky. Blame Tom. He has clearly brought out my inner geek.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks so much for posting this Eliane. Inspiring stuff. The penultimate question really interested me, as I had an 11 year-old friend of my daughter's over for lunch yesterday. I made a roast dinner and she seemed unable to eat it - couldn't use a knife, so only ate things she could shovel onto her fork. As she talked, I realised that at home she mostly ate food that can be eaten with her fingers (or ate at Macdonalds). My kids don't have perfect table manners, but at least they can use a knife. I was profoundly depressed!